Sunday, October 05, 2008

Music and vids for Chapter 8, Reeves, "Somebody Scream!"



(I guess we can credit Pac for popularizing this ugly style innovation?)

Tupac Shakur's "I Don't Give a Fuck," from 2pacalypse Now, 1991. Unlike much of his later work, the song is strongly anti-racist and critical of police violence.

I Just Dont Give A Fuck - 2 Pac

"Brenda's Got a Baby," from 2pacalypse Now, the poignant story of a 12-year girl who becomes pregnant, in which Tupac expresses tremendous sympathy for his subject.

Brendas Got a Baby - 2Pac

"Keep Ya Head Up," from Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. (1993), where Tupac expresses his support for stron sistas.

Keep Ya Head Up - 2 Pac

Video for "I Get Around," from Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.. Fun and games, poolside.



"I Get Around"--the sound is better here than on the vid above.

I Get Around - 2Pac

"Holler If Ya Hear Me," from Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.. Thug Life.

Holler If Ya Hear Me - 2Pac

"Dear Mama," from Me Against the World (1995). A heartfelt account of Pac's relationship with his mother.

Dear Mama - 2pac

"So Many Tears," from Me Against the World. Pondering mortality.

So Many Tears - 2Pac

"Skandalouz," from All Eyez on Me (1996). New levels of thug misogyny?

Skandalouz - 2 Pac/Nate Dogg

"California Love," from All Eyez on Me (1996). Hedonism, materialism, in Southern Cali. Gone are the urban blues and the resistance to police repression.

CALIFORNIA LOVE 2 pac - CALIFORNIA LOVE 2 pac

No comments: